The Assistant Actuary is the principal engineer of our actuarial pricing analysis. The Assistant Actuary is primarily accountable for developing assessments to monitor profitability for every line of business and state in the portfolio. On a typical day, this may include extracting and analyzing premium and loss data, using applications and statistical programs, evaluating results for reasonability and communicating observations to help achieve bottom-line goals. Actuaries at Mutual Benefit Group do more than crunch numbers – they tackle a variety of problems such as developing and enhancing products, designing reports to improve decision-making, forecasting and assessing industry trends and presenting findings and recommendations to senior management.
Core Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate in strategic discussions across all product lines of business – Automobile (Personal & Commercial), Homeowners, Dwelling Fire, Business Owners (BOP), Artisan Contractors, Workers Compensation and Umbrella.
- Practice skills and knowledge by performing essential actuarial pricing functions.
- Execute the rate review process by preparing rate indications, analyzing specific components of rating, developing pricing proposals and calculating impacts on our book of business.
- Evaluate success and drive continuous improvement in product enhancements.
- Solve complex business problems by leveraging the analytical and actuarial techniques.
- Review and develop new reports and tools for improved data consumption throughout the organization.
About the Team:
The Insurance Analytics team was formed in 2016 with the foundational goal of creating a data-driven decision-making process that will lead to more competitive offerings and improved product performance. The team is responsible for the actuarial pricing of new and existing insurances products, along with shared responsibility for product management and compliance functions for the organization.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Education: Applicants must be an Associate of the Casualty Actuarial Society.
Experience: A minimum of five years of property and casualty actuarial experience required, including experience in insurance pricing.
- Strong programming skills, including VBA, SQL, or related.
- Advanced spreadsheet skills in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience in insurance pricing techniques, such as rate level indications and relativity analysis.
- Familiarity with multi-variate modeling techniques or other complex quantitative analytics preferred.
- Familiarity with personal lines and commercial lines products.
- Experience with insurance regulatory and filing process.
- Project management, organizational and problem-solving skills to track and prioritize workload.
- Flexibility to handle assignments in various stages of completion at the same time.
- Ability to exercise discretion and apply independent judgement and well-developed critical thinking skills in execution of assignments and projects.
- Ability to work as a team player to deliver results effectively and efficiently to a variety of customers.
- Excellent listening and communication skills, including written and verbal.
- Self-motivated individual who takes initiative on projects and assignments.
- Excellent judgment and decision-making ability.
Full benefits package, including PPO health, dental reimbursement, vision, 401(k) and Roth 401(k), and PTO, starts the first of the month following employment.
Please visit our website to learn more about us and why you might want to work with us.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Best Places to Work in PA Employer 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018.
Posted on April 27, 2022.