Prevent Frozen Pipes
The damage caused by frozen pipes can cost thousands of dollars in repairs. The following tips will help prevent this from happening in your home.
- Maintain the temperature inside all areas of your house from falling below 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Keep kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate near non-insulated plumbing pipes and fixtures.
- Use a generator to provide back-up heat in the event of a power outage.
- Insulate all unheated areas of the home, particularly in attic and crawl spaces. Also, pay particular attention to areas around receptacles, switches, and sprinkler systems that often allow colder, outside air into the house.
- Wrap exposed pipes with heat tape or use pipe sleeves to help prevent them from freezing.
- Let water drip from outside spigots and remember to disconnect water hoses for the winter.