Do you own a second home, a rental property, or vacation home?

Business Owners

Ask an agent about insuring secondary residences, rental properties

If you own a secondary/vacation home or a rental property, you should talk with an insurance agent to be certain you are purchasing appropriate protection against a loss, yet not overpaying for coverage you may not need.

An agent may likely suggest what’s known as a dwelling fire policy. This type of policy usually covers just the structure itself, although you can add additional protection for other structures, personal property in the structure, or situations where you might be liable for injury. Dwelling fire policies are most commonly sold to landlords to cover rental properties. That’s because the tenant is typically responsible for insuring their personal possessions; the landlord is just responsible for covering damage to the building, and perhaps some liability.

An insurance company considers the place where you live most of the year to be your “primary residence.” If you have your primary residence insured with the most commonly purchased homeowners policy (known in the insurance industry as an HO3), then you have coverage for the house itself; structures that may be on the property but not attached to the main home, such as a shed or gazebo; the personal items in your home; and liability coverage in case someone is injured on your property. Don’t assume that the homeowners policy on your primary residence extends coverage to a secondary residence, such as a vacation home or cabin. Most likely, it doesn’t.

A dwelling fire policy is often a good answer to insuring secondary properties where you want the structure to be covered from certain types of damage, but don’t have many, if any, personal items there to cover. While such a policy doesn’t provide the broad coverage you would have with an HO3 policy, you likely won’t need as much insurance for a place where you spend little time. And, as noted above, you can always add personal property coverage or liability coverage, if needed. Your agent can assess your needs, and help you build a program that best suits your situation.

“I believe
Mutual Benefit Group
stands above the rest.”

H. C., West Sunbury, PA

Want a quote?

Let us help you find a nearby agent who can introduce you to a variety of companies offering affordable business insurance in PA & MD, including Mutual Benefit Group.

Reaching for safety: How to properly use extension cords

Reaching for safety: How to properly use extension cords

Extension cords are a convenient way to direct power to devices when their cords cannot reach the outlet. When used improperly, however, extension cords easily become a significant health hazard. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSO),...

Quick tips for saving money on gas

Quick tips for saving money on gas

With gas prices at an all-time high, affording fuel for your car so you can get where you need to go is becoming increasingly difficult. Although they are likely to fluctuate and could even go down slightly in the near future, they’re almost certainly not going back...

Super simple ways to save on energy

Super simple ways to save on energy

A high energy bill is a lose-lose: it’s a negative for the environment, and it’s not something your bank account wants to see, either. If you’re looking to save some money on your bills, here are nine easy, compounding steps to lower your annual energy cost and help...

Coverage/product information provided on this Web site is not an insurance policy or a supplement to any policy. This information is intended to provide a general description of products typically available through Mutual Benefit Insurance Company and Select Risk Mutual Insurance Company. The actual coverage provided is governed exclusively by the language contained within the insurance policy issued to you.