Do you Rent?
Yes, you need insurance
Nearly 81 million Americans rent a home. According to a recent survey conducted by the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America (IIABA), more than 64% of them do not carry renters insurance.
The reason most renters give for not purchasing coverage is concern about the high cost. Others believe their landlord’s policy covers them. Some feel it would be cheaper just to replace what’s in their apartment if necessary, rather than paying an insurance premium every month.
Before you pass on renters insurance, consider these things:
- Coverage is low-cost – The average price of a renter’s policy in the U.S. is just $12 a month, says IIABA. You may be able to drive the price down even more by receiving a discount if you insure your auto with the same company.
- Don’t bet on your landlord’s coverage – A landlord’s insurance usually covers only the building, not the property of the renters who live in it. If your things are stolen or destroyed by a fire, you’ll likely have to pay to replace them on your own.
- Most renters have an average of $20,000 worth of possessions – Your possessions probably cost a lot more than you think. Walk around your apartment and add up the cost of your computer, your small appliances (and big appliances if not provided by the landlord), your television, furniture, and everything in your closets and kitchen cabinets. Would you have the cash on hand tomorrow to replace all of that if your apartment was destroyed by a fire? Create a Home Inventory to help you determine how much your possessions might be worth.
- Renters insurance covers more than just possessions – Most renter’s policies include up to $100,000 in liability coverage. This means you’re covered if you are held responsible for injuring another person or damaging their property…including your landlord’s.
Consider enhancing your renters insurance with the Home Advantage Tenants Endorsement
If the property being covered is at your primary residence, this additional coverage can be added to your renter’s policy. You’ll receive greater protection with increased coverage limits and get additional coverage not provided in the basic renter’s policy such as:
- Broadened coverage for your personal property
- Water backup and sump discharge or overflow
- Refrigerated property
- Personal injury coverage, which protects you against charges including libel, slander, invasion of privacy, and wrongful eviction or entry
View a coverage comparison and learn more about this added layer of protection now.
For more information on renters insurance in PA & MD, contact an independent insurance agent. Let Mutual Benefit Group help you protect your most valuable possessions.
Mutual Benefit Group
stands above the rest.”
H. C., West Sunbury, PA
Want a quote?
Let us help you find a nearby agent who can introduce you to a variety of companies offering affordable business insurance in PA & MD, including Mutual Benefit Group.
Poison prevention tips and treatment options: a guide for families
It’s a parent’s worst nightmare. It’s early evening, and you’ve just set your toddler down to play while you tackle a sink full of dishes. Nearly finished, you turn to check on your little one, only to find them hiding under the table with a dish detergent pod in...
Stellar tips for safe skylight use
Skylights can be a great addition to a workplace by providing more sunlight and creating brighter workspaces. Research shows that this can even boost morale, improve employee satisfaction and increase productivity. It can save you on electricity over time, too, since...
Steps for surviving an active shooter in the workplace
Imagine this: you’re at your desk, reading emails over a morning cup of coffee when suddenly a frantic co-worker appears in your doorway. She tells you that there is an intruder with a gun coming your way. What do you do? From 2020 to 2021 alone, the Federal Bureau of...
Coverage/product information provided on this Web site is not an insurance policy or a supplement to any policy. This information is intended to provide a general description of products typically available through Mutual Benefit Insurance Company and Select Risk Mutual Insurance Company. The actual coverage provided is governed exclusively by the language contained within the insurance policy issued to you.